Sunday, August 01, 2004

TiVo vs. the Broadcast Flag Wavers

Technology an politics don't mix. This article points out some of the many reasons why. Copyright law and copyright holder's expectations need to change with the digital age. I have firm belief that when I have paid for a signal, once it comes into my house, it's mine to do with as I please. If I want to split it six times and show it in multiple rooms I should be allowed to do so. I don't have an issue with paying for a feed or even paying for multimple feeds but I do object to restrictions on what hardware I can use to view it or what I do with the data off that feed.

I'm a hockey fan, the linked article deals with the posible affect on the NFL, but they are simmilar enough. Television revenues are driven by advertizing, the teams get a portion of that money. Filling seats in important but the bulk of the seats go to season ticket holders and luxury boxes. If the casual fan would rather watch on TV than freeze their butts off, the possible distribution via the internet of games is not likely to change their minds.

Besides, it's more economical to go to a sprts bar or pay for your service than it is to get the games off the net. DSL is about $26 a month (if you get a good deal) plus the cost of a computer or TiVO to play these streams. May as well get the NFL Sunday ticket from DirecTV yourself.

I just don't get it, but then again I'm going to build a PVR that will not be subject to any of the bogus restrictions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home